Sunday, February 3, 2013

Cherishing the Moments

This morning the dog named Louie is being exceptionally cute, sort of unusually cute.  In fact, he just chased the cat Sienna up and down the long hallway, barking, pausing for effect every so often, cocking his head this way or that, crouching low, tail wagging, while she puffed up her fur and her eyes grew as big as saucers.  It was a moment, sort of few and far between, but one I relish.  I know Gladys the cat cannot live forever, and seeing as this will be her 22nd year it's more important than ever that I know Sienna and Louie will get along really swell when she's gone.

Last night I decided to wash an absurd amount of accumulated dishes and utensils, bowls, glasses, you name it, and then cook some dinner (the one had to precede the other), and since I wasn't on my usual spot on the sofa Louie found himself out of sorts, without a spot.  Both cats in his bed in the kitchen, he wanted to join in, I could see it, and he pawed gingerly at the edge of the bed, so I plopped him in it, covering him a bit with the towel that he normally burrows under on week days while I'm at work.


Yes, it is cute!  I agree!  But it didn't last too long.  Gladys, bottom right, grew thirsty and left for a drink, never to return (we have a lot of beds around here and she opted for something a little more "exclusive"), and Sienna got up to see me once I'd left the room, leaving Louie to himself.  She eventually rejoined, and finally I had to inform Louie that it was in fact a weekend, and he didn't have to be there, he could be by my side, which he mostly 100% insists upon.  And all was right with the world.

There have been moments when Louie and Sienna have found themselves in the closest of proximity, and stayed that way, however briefly, and I try to capture them with the Android camera (why do I never use my digicam anymore?).


Hopefully it doesn't seem too strange to be planning for the demise of a loved animal companion, but I've lived with Gladys for nearly 22 of her nearly 22 years (I adopted her when she was just a kitten), and I know we all have to go sometime, her maybe sooner than later.  I'm glad Louie and Sienna will have each other, and yes, I'm already wondering if I'll adopt another cat for Sienna, or a dog for Louie, or both.  And if I can handle any of that!


Hopefully I have a lot more time to think about all of this!  And meanwhile, I love these moments...




No comments:

Post a Comment